Sunday, April 13, 2008

Members claim they are being threatened

People’s Majlis and the Special Majlis members have said that they are receiving threats of sorts as part of the ongoing violence in the country. Members made the statement in response to a question posed by Miadhu Daily regarding various comments made by them on various occasion about receiving such threats.

According to members this upsurge in violence in Male’ and elsewhere in the country has many colors of a political scheme. They strongly allege that some politicians were behind it.

In this regard MP for Laamu Atoll Mr. Ricco Moosa Manik said that he too is receiving many threats. He said he has been warned not to speak out in the Majlis and say what ever feel likes. According to Mr. Moosa Manik there must be some political people behind these threats with the purpose of achieving some political gains.

“ They are calling and warning me that I cannot say what I want in the Majlis, these warnings are also given to Speaker of the Special Majlis Qasim Ibrahim, MP Monaza Naeem and MP ADK Nashid , they too receive these warnings , I feel the whole thing is politically motivated” said Mr., Moosa Manik.
MP for Dhaalu Atoll Mr. ADK Ahmed Nashid said that he was a victim of these threats as well. Mr. Nashid said that he very concerened and alarmed as he the victims of many threats. He further said this is politically motivated and the even his family members and his staff are being contacted.

“Even my sister and my staff are being contacted and warned, there is some political motivation in this, recently when my family went to have a sea bath, some body had splashed black oil over my wife’s car, they are being psychologically affected, nowadays I don’t even answer calls other than to numbers in my phone book, but when I speak in the Majlis I am just exercising a privilege guaranteed by the constitution” said Mr. Nashid.

MP for Ga Atoll Mr. Adhnan Haleem and Baa Atoll Member Mr. Ali Faiz also suspect that the recent upsurge in violence in Male’ is politically motivated. Mr. Ali Faiz even said that he is receiving death threats.

“They are saying in very abusive language that they would “slice me up” or stop behaving like that” said Ali Mr. Faiz. Mr. Faiz further pointed out that this is clear indicat

No comments: